- Banana-Yellow Magic Julies Barrueco
- Reflections on the Height of Style: Surviving a Suburban 1980's Haircut Jen LiMarzi
- Grace Katie Marks
- Boat Shoes and Other Serious Considerations D.W. Martin
- Four Statement Pieces, One History Jenny Sadre-Orafai
- That's Just What They'll Do Emma Törzs
- The Red Sweater Collection Kayla Washko
Portrait in Sepia
Counting the years with disbelief
I find I am older than you
when the photo was taken.
I stare at your face —
lightly powdered, a touch of rouge,
your hair freshly washed and set by Marlene
in the beauty shop on Woodward.
Your lips hold a tinge of a smile
as portrait sitting was serious business.
Your eyeglasses, wing tipped tortoise shell.
Pearl earrings from Dad's store
peek out from behind your carefully combed curls.
I bought the blouse for your birthday
the spring I was twelve,
a gift purchased at Fay's Fashions on Dexter.
The blouse, blush-pink silk —
short-sleeved for a day lilacs bloom.
Delicate eyelet circles the collar.
Ivory buttons in a matching shade
run down the bodice.
Mother, you chose to wear that blouse for this formal portrait, never knowing, so many years later I'd remember.Tweet