At ModCloth, we're always here to lend an ear to all your concerns and feedback! Whether it's a blog comment, a product review, or on one of our social networking pages, we value your viewpoint.
Our diverse, worldwide community deserves a safe, welcoming environment for expression. When engaging with them and with us:
- Please use respectful language.
- Please only share truthful information.
- Please refrain from using profanity.
In other words, be nice!
We're dedicated to keeping ModCloth and our social pages positive places to spend time. We reserve the right to remove any posted content we feel may foil your fun. We'll diligently do away with:
- Inappropriate links (including ones to our competitors' sites)
- Negative comments about people's bodies and appearances
- Pushy proselytizing
- Any degrading, derogatory, or downright threatening language
If you're curious about how these guidelines apply to specific sections of our community, click the links to continue reading!
- Product Reviews
- Photo Submissions
- Blog Comments
- Social Media Comments
- Official Contest Rules & Guidelines
- Be the Buyer Commenting Policy
- Customer Care Rules of Engagement
This is a forum for self-expression and inspiration - it's a place for you and the rest of our virtual community to show and share how you wear ModCloth, and gather some styling ideas and sartorial inspiration. We want our customers to be able to see and read about how each item looks, feels, and fits on different sizes and body types. We also want to know how well it works with unique outfit pairings and styling choices, so we encourage such first-hand feedback from you! We'd love to hear what you have to say about your ModCloth purchases!
Some helpful tips to guide you along:
- Please only review items that you own.
- Consider what you would like to know before purchasing an item.
- It's all in the details! Be as specific and descriptive as possible about the fit, quality, and material of the item to help inform your fellow ModLovers.
- If an item suited you beautifully, tell us why. But if it wasn't quite what you expected, tell us what didn't work for you. Do you think it might fit better or look different on another body type? We're listening!
- Show it off! Upload photos to showcase your outfit and how you styled it.
- Tell us your story! Where did you wear it and with what? How many compliments did you get?
Whatever you write, please be polite!
Any reviews, photos, or comments containing inappropriate material will not be approved. This may consist of, but is not limited to:
- URLs or links of any kind
- Derogatory or discriminatory language, profanity, and/or sexually explicit, abusive, or offensive material
- Infringement upon copyrights or trademarks
- Negative or disparaging comments about other customers or ModCloth that are not constructive
- Please do not mention retailers other than ModCloth in your review. We want to hear feedback (as does the Community) solely regarding the item purchased from ModCloth. Though all feedback is taken into account, we do reserve the right to disapprove reviews with these references, as it violates our site-wide policy.
In addition, if you have feedback about a problem with an item, if an item arrived in less than satisfactory condition, or you have any other customer service issues, please contact our Customer Care team directly. We reserve the right to disapprove any review regarding an issue that they can help you with!
Enjoy writing your review we cant wait to see what you have to say!
- For product reviews, photos will be displayed (and won’t exceed) of 350 pixels wide by 500 pixels tall. For the Style Gallery, photos must be at least 462 pixels wide. Submitting photos at these dimensions will make them look their best!
- Person(s) depicted in photos must be at least 18 years of age or have permission from a parent or legal guardian.
- For product review photos, at least one ModCloth item must be present and visible in every photo. All ModCloth clothing must be styled on a person, with the exception of ModCloth decor items.
- We can't accept any long distance, crowd, or overly dark or blurry photos.
- Head-to-toe shots work best, because they show us the outstanding outfits you put together. But, you can also include a close-up shot to draw attention to your favorite details.
- Be share-aware! Friends, family, and ModCloth community members can share fave Style Gallery photos on their social networks to further inspire others’ fashion endeavors.
- We love it when you share photos, even for our recent intimate additions! We only ask that you keep our entire community in mind. If you do choose to include a photo of your intimate item with your review, let us know what size you ordered, as it will help others determine fit. That's what we aim to do, after all!
- Because our Style Gallery features true outfit photos with an emphasis on realistic wearability, photos featuring people wearing only undergarments may be disapproved. Which brings us to our next point...
- Photos containing inappropriate or objectionable material will not be approved. This may consist of (but is not limited to):
- Photos containing nudity, obscene, sexist, or racist material
- Photos depicting drug use, drug paraphernalia, smoking or tobacco use, excessive drunken behavior, or weaponry of any kind
- Photos containing logos or visible branding of other companies
- Photos depicting behavior such as blatant promotions, proselytizing, or campaigning
- Copywritten images of which the rights are not owned by the submitting party
- Excessively altered or Photoshopped images
- Photos of ModCloth products whose appearance have been dramatically altered (ex. torn, shredded, excessively wrinkled)
- Close-up shots of items that are damaged will not be approved. However, our Customer Care team can help you with this!
- For whatever can be seen, please keep it clean!
- A terrific title
- The occasion and/or location where you wore your ModCloth item
- The occasion and/or location depicted in your photo
- How you styled your outfit around a particular item
- Any details that give the photo additional context
- We claim ownership of all user-submitted content and reserve the right to use such content throughout the site, in marketing materials, or however else we see fit.
- We reserve the right to disable or remove user-submitted content we feel is unacceptable for any reason. If you have questions about why something was removed, please contact us.
- Defamatory comments with excessively harsh language or comments that make personal attacks on our writers or other readers
- Comments containing sexually explicit language or any comment we deem to be offensive
- Comments containing spam or comments that link to a competitor's site
- Comments containing offensive material, such as discriminatory or sexist language, profanity, or controversial and/or sexually explicit material
- Comments containing spam, promoting an agenda, or referencing a competitors site. Please keep it on-topic and relevant to ModCloth.
- Negative, disparaging, or nonconstructive comments addressed to individuals. We promote respect and acceptance. Conversely, positive comments addressed to individuals will not be deleted, as long as they do not contain inappropriate material. If you ever see content that you feel is inappropriate, please let us know by sending an email to [email protected].
- Comments will be addressed as quickly as possible, but please note, our Social Media Team operates on Pacific Standard Time (PST) and is not available on weekends or evenings. For urgent matters, please contact our Customer Care team - they're available 24 hours a day!
- This policy will be subject to change as ModCloth's presence on social networks continues to grow. We retain the right to make final decisions regarding comments, messages, media, and/or other content posted, sent, or received through ModCloth accounts and profiles. We also retain the right to remove any content for any reason at the discretion of our team members.
- No purchase is necessary to enter, unless otherwise indicated in the contest release.
- All contests, games, and promotions are governed by and subject to all applicable United States federal, state, and local laws.
- ModCloth is the sponsor of all contests unless a co-sponsor is indicated in the contest release.
- Our contests, games, and promotions are open only to all willing participants and entrants regardless of country of residence, unless otherwise indicated in the contest release, but are void where prohibited by law.
- Before participating, anyone who is under the age of 18 or is considered a minor in her or his state of residence must have a parent or legal guardian's permission. By participating, you confirm that you have your parents' consent.
- Please be aware that anyone participating in ModCloth contest on Facebook must be at least 18 years old per Facebook's requirements.
- Employees of ModCloth and members of their immediate families or households are not eligible to enter or participate.
- Former ModCloth employees are eligible to enter contests after 60 days beyond their final day of employment with ModCloth.com.
- An individual can enter each contest, game, or promotion only once, unless otherwise specified! Separate user accounts are not considered separate individuals.
- Lucky winners of our contests, games, or promotions (including ModCloth-sponsored blog giveaways), are ineligible to win any additional prizes within 30 days after the start date of the contest won*. However, if entrants have won but were not awarded a prize, they retain eligibility to enter and win subsequent contests, games, and promotions.*This rule does not apply to any subjectively judged contests, in which the winner is not randomly chosen.
- If you submit content for a contest that includes the image of an individual, you must affirm that the individual is at least 18 years of age, or you must provide a written note of permission from the individual’s parent(s)/legal guardian(s)for your submission to be valid.
- By submitting any content to ModCloth in connection with a contest, you are affirming that you own and/or have all rights necessary to submit such content and to license it to ModCloth as set forth below. You are further affirming that use of the content submitted does not violate or infringe upon any copyrights,trademarks, or rights of publicity.
- By submitting any content to ModCloth in connection with a contest, you are granting ModCloth an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to reproduce and use, re-use, publish and republish the content, in whole or in part, without restriction as to changes, and in conjunction with or apart from your name. ModCloth reserves the right to use such content throughout its site, in marketing materials, outside of its site, or however else ModCloth sees fit.
- By entering a contest, you are agreeing to sign any necessary documentation that may be required to confer to ModCloth the rights to use your submission as set forth above.
- By entering a contest, you affirm your understanding that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry other than what is described in the specific contest release.
- Contest entries containing offensive or inappropriate material will be disqualified. This may consist of (but is not limited to) demeaning, racist, sexist language, profanity, and/or sexually explicit material.
- Contest entries must remain public for at least 30 days after the contests end date. If you need to remove an entry for a particular reason, please fill out a Contact Us Form.
- ModCloth reserves the right to disqualify any entry that is incomplete or illegible.
- ModCloth reserves the right to disqualify any entry from an individual if such individual submits multiple entries.
- ModCloth reserves the right to disqualify any individual or entry that violates the rules or is contrary to the spirit and intent of the rules.
- ModCloth’s mission is to democratize fashion by providing individual consumers like you with a voice and vote. As such, ModCloth will deem invalid all types of machine-generated or robotic voting in its contests. Further, ModCloth will deem invalid all votes that were purchased or which are determined to have been generated though false identities or fraudulent means. ModCloth may rely on an independent third-party to verify voting, and ModCloth retains full discretion to make all decisions as to whether to accept or reject votes as it deems appropriate.
- Please see individual contest releases for specific rules for each contest. Some contests involve skill and are judged by certain criteria. Other contents involve random selection of winners.
- Contest prizes are not eligible for exchange or transfer of any kind.
- ModCloth retains the right to replace any prize with a gift certificate of the same value. Reasons for this can include (but are not limited to) item availability.
- Be prepared! The more info you can provide, the faster we can assist you!
- Be patient! Sometimes, we need to do a little research related to your inquiry. Rest assured, well make it our first priority to investigate as quickly as possible and keep you in the loop every step of the way.
- Be polite! We will always treat you with respect, so please give us the same courtesy. Name-calling, racial slurs, and personal attacks are grounds for disengagement. Repeated use of abusive language and behavior may result in severing ties completely.
Photo Caption Guidelines for Our Style Gallery:
We love to see these kinds of captions:
While the ModCloth Blog has an array of regular writers, our true diversity and worth comes from the contributions and comments of our readers. Therefore, we encourage all suggestions and comments, be they laudatory, critical, or silly. We want the blog to be a setting that invites open-ended discussion and encourages personal expression. We do moderate for spam purposes all comments from those commenting for the first time. Although we review and approve comments as soon as possible, please allow some time for it to appear, if it is your first time submitting.
In order to maintain an atmosphere where writers and readers can be excited to express themselves and engage in a friendly, fun dialogue, most non-spam comments will be permitted, barring the following:
All blog content and comments are copyrighted and are the sole property of ModCloth.com and its team of authors. We retain the right to remove any content for any reason at the discretion of our editors and team members.
Social Media Comments & Messages
Our social networks and online communities are polite and positive places that encourage openness, sharing, self-expression, and inspiration. In order for them to stay alive and thrive, we ask that you keep your messages and comments civil and constructive. The golden rule rules!
We reserve the right to remove any content or comments containing inappropriate or objectionable material. This may include, but is not limited to:
So, please keep those conversations creative and constructive! We welcome and encourage your practical feedback, questions, and suggestions for us, too, and we try to address and respond as often as feasible! Please keep in mind the following info:
Be the Buyer Comments
At ModCloth, we believe your voice is the most important part of our site. We cant wait to hear what you have to say about our Be the Buyer products!
Part of being the buyer means cultivating an eye for the type of items that appeal to a variety of people. As you look through our items, take a moment to think about which appeal to you. Why or why not? If an item isn't right for you, could it appeal to someone else who might shop at ModCloth? Why or why not? Let us know! Need inspiration to find the right words to describe an item? Check out our Style Glossary!
Because it's important to maintain a positive, safe, and lively forum, we ask that you please read the posted guidelines for all of our forums. Also, please check out our specific guidelines for our Be the Buyer program, which can be found below:
Suggestions on alterations:
When voting and/or commenting on an item, think critically about what you do or do not like. If you wouldn't purchase the item as-is, is there an alteration that might change your mind? Why? Have other commenters left alteration suggestions that you agree with? Say so!
Comments about pricing:
If you have feedback about an item's price, be sure to think about its possible composition and compare its price to other like items. Would you purchase this item at this price if it was made of a certain material? Why or why not? Please include this information in your comment.
Comments about competitors:
If you think one of our Be the Buyer items is similar to something that you have seen at a different retailer or thrift store, feel free to submit these comments. This feedback will help our buying team to make decisions. However, please understand that the majority of these comments will not be published to the site, as they violate our site-wide commenting policy. If you ever have any questions about why your comment was not approved, please email [email protected].
Derogatory, vague, and/or non-constructive comments about the designer, brand, industry, company, or other customers:
We love that you feel comfortable enough with us and our community to be open and honest with your feedback. We are lucky to have such passionate and active community members! However, we ask that you try to be as constructive as possible when leaving comments in our forum, and we also ask that your comments remain relevant to the featured item(s). Please remember that not only do other community members read your comments, but also ModCloth employees, designers, and brands that work hard to create and bring these products to you.
We ask that you be mindful of the fact that the designer of the item you're commenting on may read your feedback! It's helpful to both us and the designer if your comment details what you dislike or would change: cut, color, embellishments, fabric? If you don't like an item, please be specific and tell us what exactly you aren't keen on, so that we can make better decisions for you in the future! Here's an example of constructive criticism:
The print of this dress is really cute, but I wish it didn't have three tiers of ruffles at its hem. It makes the skirt too voluminous! I'd totally love this if the hem just had one ruffle, and it came in a silk-cotton blend.
As per our site-wide commenting policy, all profanity, offensive, and abusive content will be immediately disapproved. In addition, we reserve the right to disable content that we feel is intended to attack, belittle, or hurt community members, designers or employees. We want to support a safe and high-spirited community, and we would love your help with that! We also want a forum that is respectful of women and their bodies, so we ask that you keep that in mind when commenting. If you ever see content that you feel is inappropriate, please let us know by sending an email to [email protected]
ModCloth's Official Rules for Contests, Games, & Promotions
We require all who enter or participate in our contests, games, and promotions to observe the following rules. It's only fair!
Participant Eligibility & Guidelines
Voting, Winning, & Prizes
Still not sure, or need to know more? Our Customer Care team is happy to answer your questions. Fill out a Contact Us Form, take advantage of our Live Chat, or call 1-888-495-9699.
Customer Care Rules of Engagement
Our Care advocates are available to help you 24/7! We want to be able to swiftly and accurately assess situations and offer solutions, so here are some tips and reminders when speaking to, chatting with, or writing to our Customer Care Team.